Friday, April 4, 2008

Game #2 is complete - working on comments

KGS shows game 2 as being played 4/3/08 3:18 AM. I was interested in playing a Rated game, so I could start determining my current strength. I challenged a 19k player and although they hesitated, they eventually accepted. (The game did end up being a Free game though, and I wonder if my opponent changed the setting before we started? Perhaps I just misread that this was a Rated game to begin with...)

Having not played much 19x19 I was fairly intimidated. Adding to the newness and strangeness was the time limit on the game! I had 30 minutes to play all my moves. We began play and before long I could tell I had made some errors. But I wanted to keep fighting and just get more accustomed to the big board. I managed to secure a corner, but basically by giving away the whole right side. I was getting further and further behind, but I wanted to play things out to the end.

Since I am used to playing against a computer, I forgot I was playing against another human. I wasn't taking any of their needs or concerns into account. I learned later that it is good form to resign a game you have clearly lost. (If you want to keep playing things out, ask your opponent if they mind.) Your opponent may not enjoy adding stones to a game whose outcome is already determined.

So, resign once you are confident that you have lost. You can ask your opponent to review the game with you and perhaps learn a few things and even make a friend. (Many of the thoughts here are lifted directly from responses I received on a thread at GoDiscussions.)

No comments: