Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Gaining stones while not playing

I have gone from 20 kyu to 18 kyu on KGS without playing a game. I can only assume that my rank is being adjusted due to the progress of some of my opponents - especially those that were unrated or still had a question mark.

Although it is fun to see my rank increase magically, I am getting worried that I need to play a game soon to avoid having a question mark slapped on my rating. Maybe I can get a game in tonight!

ADDITIONAL NOTE: after about 10 days of inactivity I did get a question mark added to my rating, but 1 ranked game seems to have removed it again. I also read on KGS FAQ that the games you have played are weighted. So, older games must lose weight with time, which helps account for my drift up a few ranks while not playing. (My oldest games are ranked the lowest, so, at least for now, I will get a gradual lift as those old games lose weight in the ratings calculation.)

No comments: