Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Watched entire HnG series

I have been looking for inspiration to help me improve my GO in all directions. Not sure why, really, but I felt like I needed to watch all the Hikaru no Go episodes...so I did. I think it is a pretty good Japanese-style cartoon (manga) with a pretty linear plotline. The one interesting twist is Sai. Of course it is all about GO, so if you like manga and GO, I think you would enjoy it quite a bit.
I think watching it actually helped me, in the attitude department. I was able to see Hikaru's drive to improve. I watched the characters review games with their high level dan sensei - and although I understood the concepts they discussed I can't really apply them to my own game yet. It made me want to improve enough to see what they saw on the board.
The concern I have about rank seemed to be addressed as well. All you can really ever do on the GO board is "test your strength". Ranks don't really matter so much. So that is my new mantra when I consider playing - I need to "test my strength".
If I understood the ways to use thickness, had confidence in my groups level of connectedness, and could read better I wouldn't really care about my rank. I would be able to appreciate the subtleties of the game.
So, I guess I think Hikaru no Go is a motivational story for GO players. I think it could be a good break from playing and studying, worth rewatching every few years.

No comments: