Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Played 7 games on KGS in June

My goal was 50, and I only played 7. One was with a weak bot (butterbot 24k). So, I really should only claim 6. I did play another 6 or so over the board at lunch at work, but even adding that falls dramatically short. So, I am wondering why so few games?

*Opens up bag of excuses and grabs a handful.*

  • I like the base settings of 30 minutes + 30/5 byo yomi. But that translates into more than an hour if both sides use all their time. So, if I want to play I need more than an hour. This stops me from even logging in a lot of the time. (I should just reduce the base time to 20 minutes for the custom games I post...ok, I will.)
  • I don't like to play unless I am "battle ready". I want to feel sharp, and mentally tough enough to play well. This isn't how I feel when I wake up (too sleepy), after a beer (too loopy) or on many normal nights (just not in the zone). (Guess I need to be less attached to the outcome of each game...)
  • I care too much about my rating. It keeps drifting up when I don't play and so I want to win a few so it stays at the better rating. (Too much concern for the rating, but it is hard to ignore.)
I am happy with a lot of the GO efforts I am making, but I still want to push myself to complete more online play. I really like the fact that the moves of the game are captured and available for later review.

2 comments:

SolarBear said...

Since you make up so many excuses, allow me to obliterate them to pieces.

Time : well... reduce the allowed time and/or byo-yomi. Use absolute time. Whatever. I use the default settings in most of my games and end up playing most games in 30 minutes or so.

"Battle readiness" : Not feeling perfectly alert ? That's fine : play a free game anyway. Sure, you might lose, but the lesson I learned the hard way is that making mistakes is an excellent way of NOT making them again. ;) (Provided you DO review your games, of course)

Rating : Well...I really can't help you with this one, since it's all in your head and, well, I was exactly like you not so long ago. I had to lose about 8-9 games in a row, losing 2 kyu, nearly 3 (!) to ponder on the meaning of ranking. I ended up with the following meaning : ranking (kyu, dan) is simply a very approximate measure of your skill. It's not a contest, your life does not depend on it and no, chicks/guys do NOT dig SDKs. Gaining one kyu basically is a kind of milestone telling you "There, you've improved. A little."

Hope you can let all of that wisdom sink in. :D

Vultur said...

Wow - I can't believe I missed all the comments on the blog before today. Grrr. Thanks for the comments SolarBear - truth is, I wasn't really ready to actually listen to your advice until a few days ago anyway...funny how that works!