Friday, July 11, 2008

Free game with Buzzsaw

I have posted on my occasional resistance/fear of playing on KGS. Too caught up in ratings, etc. But I logged in the other day and saw buzzsaw online. I am a fan of her blog and so she has "celebrity status" for me. I decided to be brave and ask her to play a game. We played a free game, I got 5 stones and lost, but I was happier than I have been playing most of my online games.

It made me realize that I have been missing out on the "playing" part of the game. Rated games feel like you are in a tournament. These serious, competitive games are fun sometimes but they don't feel personal. I guess "free" games are intended to be casual games, but I have always viewed free games as "I don't want to mess with my rating" games.

I want the equivalent of a "curl up on the sofa with a good book" game. A comfortable game. A friendly game where each player wants to do well, but is also happy to point out better continuations, or try variations. This interactive learning style of "playing" doesn't translate so well to computers I guess.

Having a friendly rival of about the same strength, who I could play over the board at the local coffee shop sounds like it would be the best. I guess I need to start checking out the GO scene and finding some opponents here in town rather than just in cyberspace.

3 comments:

yobi said...

I know what you mean... I prefer Coffee shops... Human Go is so much better...

Terri said...

I'm glad I said yes to playing the game. It was fun. Five stones is hard to give. I didn't think I had a chance actually.

Terri
aka buzzsaw

Vultur said...

I have been to a Go club now and I really see the value. When in person, humans interact on some subtle levels that can't be duplicated online.
Buzzsaw! I will challenge you to a duel again someday! :)