Friday, June 6, 2008

Motivation

Well, my KGS rank drifted up to 16k and then 15k while I studied and reviewed games but didn't play. I convinced myself that I was gaining skill right along with my rank. Then I got the dreaded question mark, so I played a rated game and lost convincingly. It put me right back to 17k.

So, I am going to try not to let any rating drift convince me of anything anymore. I need to play to improve. If it is 1000 games to Shodan, I have about 980 to go. I guess I am trying to rededicate myself to being a bit more serious about my progress.

So, back to the goban, the books and all the rest. I was enjoying my unearned 15k rank and looking forward to SDK (single digit kyu). I have been playing only a few games and trying to extract the maximum learning out of each one. Maybe it is time to try the opposite approach and just get some more experience on the board.

Ok, my goal for June is 50 rated KGS games. I have 1 completed. So, about 2 a day and I will make it. Let's see if playing more games feels more instructive than careful evaluation of a few games.

No comments: